Thursday, July 2, 2009
Ok, I'll go...
James, Jesus’ brother, witnessed perfection. He walked and talked with Jesus Christ –grew up with Him, (what was that like?) He is writing to the twelve tribes, Jewish believers, but addresses them as ‘brethren’, which includes all of the Church (including us). And he tells his audience to rejoice when they fall into difficult circumstances. Why? Because it will increase our patience. Who doesn’t want to be more patient?! (Be careful what you wish for.) According to this, as we grow in patience, we become more perfect. I imagine Jesus’ patience may have been frustrating for those around Him at times. But James tells us here how he ultimately viewed that attribute. More difficulties = more patience. More patience = more perfect. More Christ-like. It’s after we get through the hardships, I think, that we recognize their purpose. But as I grow older, I do find it easier to trust that good will come out of hard times. I can even be grateful for them, knowing it will result in some good work God is doing in me. I can’t say I’m quite to “counting it all joy” yet, though. So much good instruction in this chapter!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.