Tuesday, May 12, 2009
We could spend a week on CH 8 and still not cover it. The emphasis on light again, and the truth that sets us free. I wonder if anyone has counted the number of times Jesus said, "I am" in this book. The whole "Father thing" is kind of amusing, and yet incredibly sad. The Pharisees try and taunt Jesus and insinuate he is less than they are for the very reason they could recognize He is God! First they hint at it, then come right out and say that THEY are not illegitimate children. And instead of being ashamed or denying, Jesus picks it up and runs with it, pointing out to them so clearly (from this hindsight position, of course) that they should examine that issue of who their father might be. Their accusations become stronger and more hateful, then Jesus comes right out and tells them very bluntly that their actions reveal their father is Satan, and STILL they don't hear it. I know and appreciate they were blinded so that salvation could be made available to everyone. God's ways are so far above mine! Still, I hope the Spirit will remind me of this chapter when I am so filled with anger or self-righteousness that I fail to hear what Jesus is saying to me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Marge,
ReplyDeleteAfter you asked if anyone has counted the number of "I ams" found in St. John I got to it!
I counted 53 times in St. John where Christ said "I am". I will make another post and list some of the things he says he is.
Some of the "I ams" found in John were not spoken by Jesus but were spoken by John the Baptist, such as: "I am not the Christ" and "I am the voice of one crying in the wilderness" and "I am not worthy to unloose." (talking about Christ's shoes latchets) Other of the "I ams" were spoken by Peter when he denied the Lord and said the very sad words "I am not." (when asked if he was one of Jesus' disciples.