Saturday, August 15, 2009

In CH 10, Israel conquers at least 10 cities and kills the kings of two more, in what appears to be two days (the first one exceptionally long)! Often, God does not require His people to actually participate in battle, but disposes of the enemy with no effort on the part of the army He calls forth. Here, however, He uses the army to slaughter all but those in Azekah. This is one of the bloodiest passages in the Bible, and reminds me somewhat of the picture of His judgment in the last days. If simple obedience to this Great God brings this kind of victory, why is it so hard to simply obey (the “O” word)? With so many examples – both historical and personal – of the victory God gives to His children and the wrath he pours out on the idolatry and abominations of those who rebel and reject him, how is it that I still struggle with simple obedience? There is no way Joshua and his men could have accomplished this by themselves. And no way I can follow Christ of my own strength and will. But what kind of faith did Joshua have to instruct the sun and the moon to stay still? And God performed it! If only I could have that kind of faith – and yet I know God will grant that faith if I would really desire to obey. For reasons I can’t fully explain, I still want to hang on to some of my own rebellious nature, doing things my way, even though I know God would bless me and give victory if I were to submit (the “S” word) to His way. I still have much growing (up) to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.